Thursday, March 31, 2011

Netgear N600

Recently I came into possession of a second-hand gaming rig that used to belong to my little brother. He moved in with us a few weeks back and his spare desktop was of no use to him any more so he passed it along to me. I don't know if that means I'm keeping it but in the mean time its definitely keeping me entertained.

Of course all good things have a downside, just as all bad things have an upside. The only major problem with having a desktop is that I don't have a cat6 cable that goes to my room any more because the xbox in the living room needed a connection and I was running my laptop on its stock wireless connection.

The problem here wasn't that I couldn't get a connection, more so that I didn't have the means to make it happen. Luckily, my dad was cool enough to grab a wireless adapter for me.

Long story short, now I'm in business with a bitchin sweet wireless adapter from Netgear. Normally, I'd recommend a linksys product but I have to say Netgear really nailed it with the N600.

Unlike most wireless adapters the N600 doesn't have the standard issue flaws commonly found with wireless products. Setup is really made idiot proof in the software that comes with the device. Really the only hard part about setting this up is finding a spot to put the Velcro to position the device. It's only a little bigger than a thumb drive which is nice because having a giant 56k looking thing on your desk is almost taboo with things like the N600 on the market not to mention it makes it that much easier to attach to a wall, desk or secret compartment.

There is one small problem I've found though. It likes to share IP settings with my laptop and sometimes that gets a little on the irritating side but usually all it needs is a quick reboot and its golden, not that I should be using my laptop and my desktop that the same time, it was just something I noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment